Hardware related requests (e.g. computer replacement and computer moves).

Services (6)

Computer Replacement Program

The Computer Replacement Program is for State funded staff and faculty, instructional space, shared computers and student assistants.

University Corporation, Grant and Self-Support Computer Orders

Process to order University Corporation, Grant and Self-Support computers (non-general fund departments or purchases with non-general funds).

Problem/Troubleshooting - Hardware

Hardware that is experiencing issues (e.g. won't turn on, physically broken items like mice or keyboards, monitor problems, etc.)

Move/Pickup Hardware

Hardware that needs to be moved from one location to another on campus or picked up and recycled.

Lost/Stolen Hardware

Report hardware that has been lost or stolen.

Install New Hardware (Non-Computer)

Submit an IT Ticket if you have new hardware that needs to be installed on your workstation.